Grants, scholarship and apprenticeship bonus
There are many grants, scholarships and apprenticeship bonuses available to help you get a good start.
Apprenticeship Incentive Grant
The Apprenticeship Incentive Grant (AIG) is a taxable cash grant of $1,000 per year/level, up to a maximum of $2,000. This grant helps registered apprentices in designated Red Seal trades get started. Please consult the Apprenticeship Incentive Grant (AIG) program page for more information.
Apprenticeship Completion Grant
The Apprenticeship Completion Grant (ACG) is a taxable cash grant of $2,000. This grant helps registered apprentices who have completed their training become certified journeypersons in designated Red Seal trades. Please consult the Apprenticeship Completion Grant (ACG) program page for more information.
Service Canada must receive your application including required supporting documents no later than June 30 of the calendar year following the date you progressed in your apprenticeship program. See the application deadline calendar.
Apprenticeship Completion Bonus in Non-Red Seal Trades
The apprenticeship completion bonus in non-Red Seal trades is a taxable cash grant of $2,000. The grant is available to registered apprentices after they successfully complete their apprenticeship training and obtain their Certificate of Apprenticeship and, where available, their Certificate of Qualification in any Ontario non-Red Seal trade, on or after April 1, 2009.
This completion bonus was a new apprenticeship budget initiative announced by the provincial government in the fall of 2009 as part of the government's plan to strengthen Ontario's apprenticeship and skilled trades system and ensure Ontario has the skilled workers it needs to succeed in tomorrow's economy.
This initiative is designed to:
- Encourage apprentices to complete their training.
- Encourage potential apprentices to enter into apprenticeship training
- Reward and acknowledge apprentices who have completed their apprenticeship training
- Demonstrate the government's commitment to training and the importance of skilled workers to Ontario's economy.
Who can participate?
To be eligible, an individual must:
- Be out of high school
- Have completed an apprenticeship program in Ontario in a trade that is designated as non-Red Seal on or after April 1, 2009.
- Have received an Ontario Certificate of Apprenticeship for a non-Red Seal trade that does not have an Ontario Certification of Qualification examination; or an Ontario Certification of Apprenticeship and an Ontario Certificate of Qualification for a trade that has an Ontario Certificate of Qualification examination on or after April 1, 2009.
An individual is not eligible:
- If an Ontario Certificate of Apprenticeship or an Ontario Certification of Qualification is obtained in one of the designated non-Red Seal trades without having completed an apprenticeship program in Ontario for that trade. Trade qualifiers are not eligible for the bonus.
Employer Signing Bonus
The $2,000 Employment Signing Bonus encourages employers in the trades to register new apprentices in sectors where there is a high demand for skilled workers. This intiative will assist employers to hire and register apprentices who have left school and require upgrading to meet the registration standards for apprenticeship training.
Who can participate?
The Employer Signing Bonus will be delivered in two equal installments over six months. To be eligible for the first installment, employers must:
- Meet all the specific apprenticeship requirements to provide training in the trade, and
- Hire and register an apprenticeship scholarship candidate as an apprentice.
To receive the second installment, employers must:
- Continue to employ the apprentice and provide on-the-job training for at least six months from the date that the apprentice was registered.
$1,000 Apprenticeship Scholarship for youth
Who can participate?
Participant must meet the eligibility requirements:
- Have left school before completing the necessary academic requirements for registering in a trade
- Be committed to achieving the necessary academic requirements within one year
- Demonstrate an interest in the skilled trades
Young persons participating in the program will receive a $1,000 scholarship if they:
- have completed their academic upgrading
- are employed and
- are registered as an apprentice.